Sunday, February 26, 2012

My 2012 Academy Award Predictions


Finally. It's that time of the year. I've been working hard to see every nominee, and I still failed, but I've done my best. I'll let you know what I have watched and what I haven't, as well as I think who should win and who will win. Anywho. Let's get on with this. I'll start off with (in my opinion) least important to most important. I'll also say this, I have not seen any of the short films, so these are based off of the experts opinions.

Best Live Action Short Film
  • Pentecost
  • Raju
  • The Shore
  • Time Freak
  • Tuba Atlantic
Will Win: The Shore

Best Animated Short Film
  • Dimanche/Sunday
  • The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
  • La Luna
  • A Morning Stroll
  • Wild Life
Will Win: The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

Best Documentary Short
  • The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement
  • God Is the Bigger Elvis
  • Incident is New Baghdad
  • Saving Face
  • The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom
Will Win: Saving Face

Best Foreign Language Film
  • Bullhead
  • Footnote
  • In Darkness
  • Monsieur Lazhar
  • A Separation
Will Win: A Separation
This is really the consensus choice, as some critics have called this film the best of the year. I plan on seeing it, I just...haven't had a chance yet. Or any of those...

From here on out, I've seen at least two of the whatever amount of films nominated, so I will have it by my ranking (who should win) and then I'll say who will win.

Best Sound Editing
1. Drive
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
3. War Horse
4. Hugo

Unwatched --
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Will Win: Hugo 
It's nominated for 11 total awards and this is one of the few where it's not competing with The Artist. While I believe Drive deserves the win, I doubt it will get it. It was only nominated in this category, which is rather awful. And because of this, I believe it hurts the chances of Drive coming home with an Oscar.

Best Sound Mixing
1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2. War Horse
3. Moneyball
4. Hugo

Unwatched --
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Will Win: Hugo
Generally, if a film wins Sound Editing, it will win Sound Mixing. From what I've read, it seems that many people believe Transformers can come in and win here, but due to me being unable to watch the film, I can't exactly judge that. But with Hugo having the best chance at winning Sound Editing, I believe it'll win Sound Mixing.


Best Documentary - Feature Length
1. If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
2. Hell and Back Again

Unwatched --
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory, Pina, Undefeated

Will Win: Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
It's easy to see why this will win: The West Memphis 3 were released before the film came out, and because of these events, this should propel Paradise Lost to a victory. Although I will say that I believe If a Tree Falls could be a spoiler.


Best Original Song
1. Man or Muppet - The Muppets
2. Real in Rio - Rio

Will Win: Man or Muppet
If Real in Rio wins this, I will just burn people.


Best Make-Up
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2
2. The Iron Lady
3. Albert Nobbs

Will Win: The Iron Lady
Any film that can transform Meryl Streep into Margaret Thatcher will probably win everyday of the week. Harry Potter has yet to be recognized as a serious contender in this category, and I just don't see it actually winning this time around, even if it deserves to.


Best Costume Design
1. Hugo
2. The Artist
3. Jane Eyre

Unwatched --
Anonymous, W.E.

Will Win: Hugo
This is a two man race between Hugo and The Artist. We all know that the Academy loves to award this category to a period piece. But The Artist provides us with a twist...while it may be a period piece, it's a film that takes place in America, which isn't as well known for its beautiful clothing and design. This category normally goes to a film that takes place somewhere in Europe, and rightly so. I don't see them changing their views now.


Best Art Direction
1. Hugo
2. The Artist
3. Midnight in Paris
4. War Horse
5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

Will Win: Hugo
The creation of George Melies’s movie sets seals the deal for me. The sets in the film came alive and screamed for your attention as much as each character did. This is a race between Hugo and The Artist again, but Hugo wins this one, although it's possible that Midnight in Paris could be a dark horse winner here.


Best Visual Effects
1. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
2. Hugo
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

Unwatched --
Real Steel, Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Will Win: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
This one is a no brainer. If you watched the film, you'll see exactly how much went into the creation of this film. Also, if you remember, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers went on to win this award when it was nominated due in large part to Gollum. Andy Serkis, who portrayed the creature, plays Caeser, the lead ape. 


Best Animated Feature
1. Kung Fu Panda 2
2. Puss in Boots
3. A Cat in Paris

Unwatched --
Chico and Rita, Rango

Will Win: Rango
This is Rango's to lose. With The Adventures of Tintin not being nominated, this should belong to Rango, which is the consensus pick among critics and fans.



Best Original Score
1. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
2. The Artist
3. Hugo
4. The Adventures of Tintin
5. War Horse

Will Win: The Artist
This one actually isn't fair. With The Artist being a silent film, it relies so heavily on the music...there's never a quiet moment in the film. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful. But any other year, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy would probably take this one.


Best Film Editing
1. The Artist
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
3. Hugo
4. Moneyball
5. The Descendants

Will Win: The Artist
Again, it's between the big two. The Artist gets my nod here though since imagine how hard it is to get the beats right when it comes to editing a silent film. It can't be easy...at all. You've got to trust your gut with a silent film, and they did it right.


Best Cinematography
1. The Tree of Life
2. The Artist
3. Hugo
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
5. War Horse

Will Win: The Tree of Life
 All I can say is wow. The Tree of Life doesn't have very much dialogue, but it makes up for it with its beautiful visuals and scenery, which can only be attributed to the fantastic camera work. If any other film wins this, I call bullshit.


Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay
1. The Descendants
2. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
3. Moneyball
4. Hugo
5. The Ides of March

Will Win: The Descendants
An incredibly funny and moving film, The Descendants deserves at least one award. Moneyball may spoil Alexander Payne's evening, but I don't see that happening. The Descendants just seems to damn good to be ruined.


Best Writing - Original Screenplay
1. Midnight in Paris
2. The Artist
3. Margin Call
4. Bridesmaids

Unwatched --
A Separation

Will Win: Midnight in Paris
This is as close to a sure thing as you'll get. Midnight in Paris is unlike any other movie I've seen before, and I can only imagine the amount of fun Woody Allen had writing it. I can't see The Artist beating out Midnight in Paris...I just can't.


Best Supporting Actress
1. Octavia Spencer
2. Berenice Bejo
3. Melissa McCarthy
4. Jessica Chastain
5. Janet McTeer

Will Win: Octavia Spencer
One of the best performances of the year, Octavia Spencer truly shines in The Help. I don't know if she'll ever give a performance like this again, and I don't think she'll ever be nominated again, but Spencer is this years Mo'Nique.


Best Supporting Actress
1. Christopher Plummer
2. Nick Nolte
3. Max von Sydow
4. Jonah Hill
5. Kenneth Branagh

Will Win: Christoper Plummer
Another no contest, Plummer is the clear front runner here. His only competition was Albert Brooks, but he was snubbed for a reason I have yet to figure out. If anyone can spoil his evening, it'll be either Nolte or Sydow, but I just can't see that happening.


Best Actress
1. Viola Davis
2. Rooney Mara
3. Michelle Williams
4. Meryl Streep
5. Glenn Close



Will Win: Viola Davis
The Help may be bringing home two acting awards this year, as Viola Davis gives the best performance of the year. I remember when I first saw the film I said to my friend, "If Viola Davis doesn't win, I will quit watching movies." That's clearly a lie, but, you get what I mean.


Best Actor
1. Jean Dujardin
2. Gary Oldman
3. George Clooney
4. Brad Pitt
5. Demian Bichir

Will Win: Jean Dujardin
I really want Oldman to win, but I'm being a realist here. Dujardin did something brilliant this year: he brought a silent cinema character to life and truly embodied the silent film actor. He deserves it...he really does.


Best Director
1. Martin Scorsese
2. Michel Hazanavicius
3. Woody Allen
4. Alexander Payne
5. Terrence Malick

Will Win: Michel Hazanavicius
I want Marty to win since Hugo was a masterpiece. He won't though. And it's unfortunate since both men deserve to win (all five actually deserve it...all five films were great...kind of...coughtreeoflifecough...)


Best Picture
1. Hugo
2. The Artist
3. Midnight in Paris
4. Moneyball
5. The Descendants
6. The Tree of Life
7. War Horse
8. The Help
9. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Will Win: The Artist
This is the year of the silent movie. The Artist, which has been the front runner over the past few months, will be victorious this year. But in my opinion, Hugo is the best film of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment