Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Oscar Nominee Analysis: Best Actress

Best Actress

Glenn Close
Albert Nobbs

Meryl Streep
The Iron Lady

Michelle Williams
My Week with Marilyn

Rooney Mara
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Viola Davis
The Help

The biggest snub here is Tilda Swinton for her performance in We Need To Talk About Kevin. The reviews for her performance are glowing, and I was really shocked to see that she was the one who was left out. The battle for that last spot would have been between her and Rooney Mara for her daring portrayel as Lisbeth Salander in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I really can't argue with the snub though, as I've seen Dragon Tattoo twice, and each time the best part of the film was Mara. Another snub was Charlize Theron, who starred in the Jason Reitman dark comedy Young Adult, in which she was pretty much, well, a total bitch. This will be a very, very tough battle between all of the nominees. Each nominee, aside from Rooney Mara, is really just Oscar bait. Glenn Close plays a man in Albert Nobbs. Michelle Williams plays the iconic Marilyn Monroe in My Week with Marilyn. Meryl Streep plays the lone female Prime Minister of Britain in the awful film The Iron Lady. And Viola Davis plays the help during a time of racial tension in, well, The Help. This will be an exciting battle, and one that I'm not sure I'll be able to predict.

Films I Haven't Seen: Albert Nobbs; My Week with Marilyn

Snubs:
Tilda Swinton, We Need To Talk About Kevin
Charlize Theron, Young Adult
Kirsten Dunst, Melancholia
Elizabeth Olsen, Martha Marcy May Marlene

No comments:

Post a Comment