Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Trailers for THE IRON LADY and BEING FLYNN


If you're looking for a movie that's truly contending to be an Oscar contender, then you've found it in The Iron Lady. Meryl Streep is playing Margaret Thatcher, who was Britain's highly controversial Prime Minister in the 1980's. That alone is Oscar bait. I honestly don't know much about the woman myself, but with this movie, I feel like I'll know all that has to be known to get Meryl Streep her next Oscar win. I'm not saying that this is making it a bad movie choice, I'm just saying that next time, don't make it so obvious. I'm sure the movie will be spectacular, and I'll definitely be there to see it.

Also starring in the film are Harry Lloyd, Jim Broadbent, Anthony Stewart Head, and Olivia Colman. The Iron Lady opens for an awards-qualifying run in New York and Los Angeles on December 30th, and will open in limited releases nationwide on January 13th. After the trailer, hit the jump for the trailer of Being Flynn, starring Paul Dano, Robert De Niro, and Julianne Moore.



London, 2008. In her well-appointed apartment, the elderly former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher prepares breakfast for her husband Denis, as she has every morning of their married life. It’s not until Margaret’s personal aide bustles in that we see that Margaret sits at the table alone. Denis is alive only in her imagination.
Once described in life as “always present, never there”, Denis is still present for Margaret. Is he a loving memory made flesh? A manifestation of her grief? Or perhaps her conscience, taking her to task?
Locked in the infuriating inaction of retirement and battling ill health, Margaret is ambushed by memories. Fragments of her private life and of her premiership crowd in to her mind and she relives them in vivid detail. As she struggles to maintain her equilibrium, Denis teases and needles her. The struggle, the triumphs, the betrayals – in the end, what did she achieve? When all is said and done, was it worth it?
THE IRON LADY is the story of a woman who came from nowhere to smash through barriers of gender and class to be heard in a male dominated world. It is a film about power and the price that is paid for power, a story that is both unique and universal.




I haven't heard of Being Flynn until I read about the release of this trailer, and I honestly don't think I would have been that interested in it just seeing De Niro's name, considering, well, I can't think of the last good movie he was in. But something about this film caught my eye, and I'm happy it did. The film is an adaptation of Nick Flynn's memoir Another Bullshit Night in Suck City, and stars Paul Dano as a writer who takes a job at a homeless shelter, only to run across his long-absent father (played by De Niro) who is seeking a bed. The trailer is pretty fantastic, and as someone who's striving to be a writer, reaches me on a bit more of a personal level. All in all, this is something to keep an eye on, and could have the potential to be a pretty damn good drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment